Donna Hay Chocolate Bunny Tail Cupcakes
Hop to it and create Chocolate Bunny Tail Cupcakes for Easter. With their meringue bunny tails and shredded coconut “fur”, these Chocolate Bunny Tail Cupcakes make a delightful Easter treat.
This Chocolate Bunny Tail Cupcakes recipe is from Australian food stylist, author and magazine editor – Donna Hay.
- 1¼ cups (185g) White Wings Self-Raising Flour
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa
- ¾ cup (165g) CSR Caster Sugar (superfine)
- ½ cup (120g) firmly packed CSR Brown Sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup (160ml) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Shredded coconut, for sprinkling
- 1 egg yolk, extra
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- ½ tsp cream of tartar or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups (440g) CSR Caster Sugar (superfine)
- 150ml egg white (about 4 eggs)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the flour, cocoa, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for 6 minutes or until pale and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) cupcake tins lined with paper cases. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the meringue icing, place the water, cream of tartar or lemon juice and half the sugar in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes.
- Place the egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. With the motor running, add the remaining 1 cup (220g) of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more.
- Gradually add the hot sugar syrup in a thin steady stream and whisk for a further 4 minutes or until thick, glossy and cooled.